Internal Medicine Residency
Applications are only accepted through ERAS for the categorical, Med-Peds, IMEM and preliminary programs. All positions are only offered through the National Residency Matching Program.
- 1252140C0 Categorical Internal Medicine (3 years)
- 1252700C0 Medicine-Pediatrics (4 years)
- 1252705C0 Internal Medicine-Emergency Medicine (5 years)
- 1252140P0 Preliminary Internal Medicine (1 year)
The following materials must be submitted through ERAS no later than December 20:
- ERAS application
- Curriculum vitae (ERAS format is acceptable)
- Personal statement
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) or "Dean's letter"
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably including one from the Chair of the Department of Medicine
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE Step 1
- USMLE Step 2, when available
- Your email address
For other correspondence, you can reach us
at UMDMED@medicine.umaryland.edu or:
Susan D. Wolfsthal, M.D.
Residency Program Director
Department of Medicine
University of Maryland
22 South Greene Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-1595
Upon review of these materials, you will receive an email informing you if an interview has been granted. Interviews are conducted on Tuesdays and Thursdays from early November through the end of January. Reduced rates at nearby hotels are available. If you have any questions or would like to check on the status of your application, please contact us at 410-328-2388.
I M P O R T A N T : After applying to our program, please check your email frequently. Invitations, confirmation of your interview, and other correspondence will be sent ONLY via email.
If you are applying to the:
- Categorical or preliminary medicine programs at the University of Maryland,
follow the above instructions.
- Preliminary medicine program at Mercy Medical Center, you must send
them a separate ERAS application. See Mercy
Medical Center for more information.
- Med-Peds program, please follow the instructions under Med-Peds.
- IMEM program, please follow the instructions under IMEM.
If you are an International Medical Graduate, please note the
following requirements. Further information about visas is available on our
GME web site.
- Valid ECFMG certificate, including successful completion of the CSA.
- The University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) adheres to the standards
and guidelines for the employment of non-immigrants as established by federal
immigration laws and the U.S. Department of Labor. UMMC will hire only U.S.
citizens and non-citizens that are authorized for employment. Non-immigrant
alien residents or fellows will be sponsored under the J-1 visas program.
H-1B visas are not considered appropriate visas for residents
- Completion of a minimum of 4 months of active clinical experience in a
US or Canadian medical school prior to November. Clinical observerships
do not fulfill this requirement. So that we can accurately capture
this information, be certain to enter this information in the appropriate
areas in ERAS, e.g., Experience (medical).
- Although specific minimum USMLE scores are not required for the residency program,
it is highly desirable to have USMLE scores over 215 for all applicants.
Applicants who have failed any USMLE step will not be granted interviews.
If you are an Osteopathic Medical Student, we require USMLE Step
1 scores to be considered for an interview. USMLE Step 2 scores should
be submitted when available. COMLEX alone does not meet this requirement.
For applicants with questions about disabilities and similar issues,
please see the GME
Technical Standards Policy.
This page was last updated on:
September 10, 2008.