The Department of Medicine started the first in-hospital residency training program in the country in 1823, with two residents who were required to pay $300 to cover their training expenses. Over the years, professors in medicine made significant contributions to the field of infectious diseases, including discovering the cause of an outbreak of yellow fever in Baltimore in the late 19th century.
Under the 32 year chairmanship of Dr. Maurice C. Pincoffs in the early to mid-1900's, the Department blossomed with a large clinical service and substantial commitment to teaching residents and students. Dr. Theodore E. Woodward joined the Department in 1948 as the first full-time faculty member and aided Dr. Pincoffs in reorganizing the Department into subspecialty divisions. Dr. Woodward was appointed the first full-time professor and Chairman of the Department in 1954 and guided its development until 1981. In 1984, Dr. John A. Kastor assumed the chairmanship and recruited prominent research and clinical faculty doubling the size of the Department. Dr. William L. Henrich served as Chairman of the Department of Medicine from 1999 until 2006. During his tenure, the Department made huge strides in expanding the clinical enterprise to nearly 200 faculty members and increasing the amount of federally funded research.
As part of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, the Department actively participates in a variety of educational and research activities. With over $85 million in annual direct grant and contract support, the Department has about 60 NIH RO1 awards, over 340 active research awards, including a newly funded GCRC, Pepper Center for Geriatric Research and Education, a HCFA demonstration project in cardiology, collaborative projects to study COPD and diabetes, 10 NIH funded Career evelopment awards, including a K12 Clinical Research Career Award, and multiple NIH-funded training grants. Our emphasis on excellence in education and research has fosters a strong academic and patient care environment for residency training in general medicine and the subspecialties.
Frank Calia, MD, MACP, was named as the Theodore E. Woodward Professor and Chairman in March 2006, and serves as professor emeritus of medicine and microbiology & immunology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He is the 12th chairman of the Department of Medicine in its 200-year history. Dr. Calia received his MD in 1962 from Tufts University in Boston. He was recruited to Maryland in 1969 by Dr. Theodore Woodward to lead the Section of Infectious Diseases at the VA. Dr. Calia was chief of the Medical Service at the VA 1976-1987. Upon Dr. Woodward's retirement, Dr. Calia was acting chairman of Medicine from 1981-1984. He then became vice chairman and director of education in the Department, and, in 1992, vice dean and senior associate dean for Academic Affairs of the University of Maryland School of Medicine. From 1997-1999, Dr. Calia again served as interim Chair of the Department.
An infectious disease specialist, Dr. Calia has made numerous contributions to that field and published extensively. His strong commitment to medical education has distinguished him as one of the school's finest teachers. Dr. Calia has been honored by his medical students with 22 teaching awards. He has also been awarded Teacher of the Year honors by the Maryland Higher Education Council (representing all colleges and universities in Maryland) and been chosen Teacher of the Year by the University of Maryland System. Dr. Calia received the AOA Robert J. Glaser Distinguished Teaching Award at the national meeting of the Association of American Medical Colleges.